"real quick heads up" my arse

on Saturday, October 27, 2012
so as a real quick heads up, they actually read the names wrong that day and switched my name for someone else's. In a nutshell, I won. Two gold medals: one for patterns and the other one for choreographed sparring routines. I don't know how we won that one. The first time, we got to about just after half way and I forgot. Just a stupid mind blank. It was embarrassing to just stand there and sheepishly ask the judges if we could try again. Second time through, we get to about 5 cuts in and everyone's watching really intensely and they're all wondering if I'll get another blank then SNAP the sword I'm using just breaks and the whole stadium just goes dead silent. Well fvck. I can't really sheathe it now, can I?

I sit down thinking nothing could get any worse than this. I've forgotten it once halfway through and now I've just broken a sword, I'm prettty sure I'm disqualified. Third time through, everything works and flows through and the next thing we know, they're calling up names for the next round and our pair wasn't called. Huh :/

About an hour and a half later, everyone is called down to prepare for the medals and awards. Everyone's sitting down and we're all tired and we all want to go home. Took them a while to get to sparring though. "Red and Cho-Dan-Bo aged 14 to 17 males Round one bronze goes to _____and_____" applause. blahblahblah. "Final Round Gold goes to EDWARD AND MICHAEL." And our team is just jaksld;fjaklfjdkla;jfdklsajf;dlsajfdklsa;jlfldk;sjflk;dsa;kd fjaskldfa
That was the most unlikely thing to have happened to me over the course of Nationals. Patterns was even more intense. This has a bit of context to it. In Korea, Round one I was winning, I was up top and it was all good. Second Round it was mainly me and a certain Callum. Come the results, he won by 0.1 points. I mentioned that before. Come the departure for Australia, we called a re-match at Nationals.

So waiting for the results in this situation was pretty intense so when they said "Silver Medal goes to" they knew about our situation, and duly made an even longer pause.

"Male Red and Cho-dan-bo 14 to 17 Final Rounds silver medal goes to...

-silence-

Callum ___."

That took a while to sink in. And when they finally called out my name it was absolutely jkals;djfkal;jfkld;ajgfklda;sjfdkl;asjfkdl;sajfdkls;ajfkldsa;jfklds;ajfkld;sajfkldsajfl;dsajfkdlsa;jfdkls;ajfkdl;ajfldk;fjkldsa;fjkdls;afjklds;afjklsd;ajfk;ldsa

One tear. That was the first time I had ever cried from happiness. Manly tear, no judging.

Anyway. That's all well. No more school music rehearsals, no more assessment until exam block and life is good.

I've been listening to this opera song called Don Giovanni. You know that piece in Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows where they're in Paris and Moriarty watches an Opera? That's the one. Here's a link to it and it's...well I think it's pretty intense.

Well, I'm gonna go sleep because sleep. If you read this whole thing then...well I'm pretty amazed that you bothered so thank you and I'm glad someone cares enough~

A la Prochaine.

0 comments: